Excess water consumption is much more likely to occur in the summer months when our water-loving pups are warm and want to splash around. But taking in too much water can create dire health situations for your pets. Accidentally ingesting too much water can cause brain swelling, which can lead to death very quickly. When you’re out with your dog at the beach, or even just playing around in the kiddie pool or sprinkler in your backyard, keep an eye out for these symptoms:
- lethargy and/or confusion
- excessive salivation
To avoid water intoxication, make your dog take plenty of breaks during water play.